|Habitat for Humanity
The transition period surrounding Pastor Charlie's retirement and the interim period following his retirement will be a time of change. There will be many questions surrounding this period. At the bottom of this page are documents to help inform you about the transition period.
(Or “What you always wanted to know about the upcoming pastoral transition but were afraid to ask”)……
- Since Pastor Jay was required to turn in his resignation at the same time as Pastor Charlie, does that mean he will leave at the same time? According to Pastor Jay's call, he is able stay at FLC until we call another senior pastor OR until Jay accepts another call.
- Since Pastor Jay does not leave at the same time as Pastor Charlie, will he serve as a pastor during the time we have an interim pastor who replaces Charlie? Yes, he will continue on and work with the interim senior pastor. Pastor Charlie is transitioning some things to him already; Jay will work closely with council and the interim pastor as we move forward.
- When will we know who the interim pastor will be? Council met with Bishop Bolick in February to discuss the details of identifying and interviewing potential interim candidates. At this point, we are waiting to receive names of these pastors (who may be retired pastors trained as interims, or full-time interim pastors). We hope to appoint an interim pastor before the end of May, although that individual may not actually begin interim ministry until several weeks after Pastor Charlie retires.
- If Pastor Jay receives and accepts a call during the time of the interim pastor, will we be assigned a second interim pastor? That decision has not been made at this point. Council would have conversation with the Bishop to determine the best course of action if we're faced with this situation.
- If the congregation wants to call Pastor Jay, how soon can that decision be made? After the Call Committee is formed and trained (a process which will start late in the fall of 2013, at the earliest ), Pastor Jay would have conversation with that group if he felt called to be senior pastor at FLC. The Bishop has encouraged both council and Pastor Jay to let the process unfold (easier said than done!) and to take the time to discern where the Holy Spirit is leading both Pastor Jay and our congregation.
- How can I help? Pray for our pastors, staff, council and congregation as we journey through this time of transition.